Thursday, April 25, 2013

Not your typical Friday afternoon

Friday April 12, 2013 was your typical day at my house. All the kids were at school and Evan was hanging out with me. We were in the living room watching a kids show no doubt. Lounging in our pj's about to head out to get the kids from school. The dogs let me know they needed to go outside. So I get up and head to the back door to let them out. As I go to unlock the door our German Short haired pointer Zoey attacked me. And then attacked our other dog. I was in so much pain I started to panic. She would not stop attacking Hera. I broke a broom over her and everything as I am still having a panic attack. I just grabbed Evan, my keys, and a bag I knew had a jacket in it for Evan. I didn't even have shoes on my feet and no clue where my phone was. I did grab a pair of shoes at the last minute and ran out the door. I just had to get out of the house. I knew I was going to my mom's work. I was in such a panic I was shaking all over. As I was driving down 300 South our friend from Church who is on the Sheriffs department was going the opposite way. I flashed my headlights at him and then pulled over and he turned around. He than called Shane and followed me to my moms work. 
As I got my moms work I was still in a horrible panic. Her boss came out and thought something bad/criminal was going on since I had a sheriffs car following me. I was crying and sobbing. I was like oh no he is our friend. He stayed with Evan while I went into my mom. Everyone she works with were helping me. I was a mess. 
We decided I needed to go to the hospital and get checked out. I was almost certain my hand was broke and I had teeth marks all over it. I will still a mess and then they told me that I would have to be interviewed by animal control. I had already said that I wanted both dogs gone before I got home. I knew an interview would stress me out more. And the nurse told me I would have to make a police report. 
The lady from animal control was so caring and she told me since I was an adult and owned the dog a report didn't have to be taken. I chose not to but told her I wanted to surrender both dogs and wanted them gone before I got home from the hospital. She told me they could not come get them due to us living in the county and the county does not have a contract with them. Which totally ticks me off not about my situation but for those animals being dumped or neglected. They can not do anything about it because the county cannot come to an agreement with them. So anyway she told me I needed to think about my decision and not be rash in anything I decided. I am glad I did. 
They came back and said the hand wasn't broke and that I didn't need stitches. So I left the hospital. I did find out Hera wasn't dead and they were finally not fighting. I didn't know how I was going to handle going home. But I did and I had all the kids here except Maddy. They help comfort me more than they know and without doing anything to help. 
I was able to tell them that my mind was not changed on getting rid of Zoey. I couldn't handle the stress from her anymore. Jared took it really bad and hated me for my decision. We had to keep her in our bedroom and I didn't want to see her. I was pretty scared of her. 
Shane came home and he took me out for dinner and it was nice to just get away. But we knew what had to be done. And that Monday she left our home. The kids were sad but things are so calm with out her here. 
My Hera girl had a lot of battle wounds and she is still in the healing process. I am as well. I still have bite marks and one very sore finger. It will be two weeks tomorrow. Hera and I have bonded so much more since everything happened. I don't leave the house with out her. She is always right by my side. 
Its hard to have to make the decision we did but for our safety and the safety of those around us it was the right choice. As I was talking to Adams wife she told me he was heading to the jail when he passed me. He would have probably not have taken that route there that day but he felt that he had to go that way. And I am so grateful he did. He was a great help and so was she. She called me while I was still at the hospital. I had so many checking on me when they heard what happened. I just know I am very blessed. I will recover the pain in my hand will go away eventually. The pain in our hearts of losing a pet will go away. I know she wasn't a bad dog she just needs to be the only pet where all the attention will be given to her. I was probably just in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment